Centralized access management at its finest
InCommon Grouper School
What is Grouper?
The Grouper component offers management of institutional and personal groups, roles, and permissions for use by project managers, departments, institutions, and end users to:
- load institutional cohorts from systems of record
- manage policies centrally for applications
- share roles among multiple collaborative tools
- audit who has access and when
- provision entitlements to LDAP, SAML, messaging, and services.
Wondering if this class is for you? The target audience is anyone interested in implementing access governance in a way that works well with InCommon and includes novices and folks who already have some Grouper experience.
This workshop will focus on the InCommon Trusted Access Platform packaged Grouper software with a focus on learning and using core Grouper features to implement the access control models described in the Grouper Deployment Guide. The sessions will include a mix of self-paced learning, lectures, hands-on training, and discussion.
The modules start with Grouper basics and progress through new Grouper features, access governance, Grouper security model, and Grouper administration.
What to Expect
- A virtual class, spanning 4 half days to reduce video conferencing fatigue
- Synchronous sessions will be scheduled between 1:00 – 5:00 ET
- Pre-work for the workshop (self paced content hosted in our LMS beginning one week before the live sessions)
- Complete the Grouper 101 modules
- Test your shiny new course VM
- Ask our faculty questions in the dedicated class Slack channel
- Meeting up to 40 new friends from campuses and research organizations across the globe
- Direct access to Grouper developers, who double as our faculty. Don’t be shy with your questions!
- Gain experience with the Docker container version of Grouper
- Learn how to implement to implement access governance with Grouper
Knowledge of identity management concepts and related implementation experience is strongly recommended.
- Grouper Basics (101)
- Grouper Advanced Features
- What’s new in Grouper 2.5
- Grouper Access Governance (201)
- Grouper Security Model (211)
- Grouper Administration (301)
- Access Governance Practicum (401)
- IAM discussion – answering your questions
Preparing for Grouper School
Detailed preparation instructions will be available and distributed prior to the class.
- You need to set aside at least 16 hours prior to the first day of class to complete the assigned pre-work in our LMS. You’ll have access to your VM and the class materials one week prior to the live Zoom sessions. You should also get comfy with the Grouper Deployment Guide during this time.
- You will need to have either an RDP client (for Windows) or SSH client (for Linux), plus root access to modify your etc/host files, depending on your choice of operating system for this class.
- The training makes use of Virtual Machines (VMs), in this case derived from Amazon Marketplace Images (AMI) loaded on Amazon Web Services. The training team will provide access instructions when you arrive for the first day of the training.
- You will need root/administrator access on the computer you will be bringing to class so that you can modify the local hosts file.
- Your VM will be not only be available during the training, it will stay intact for two weeks after the training. At that point, the VM will no longer exist – be sure to save anything you need within two weeks of the end of the training.
|Collaboration Success Program Alumni||InCommon Participant||Non-Participant|
|Early Bird Rate*||$1,500||$1,800||$2,300|
* Early Bird Rates available will be available!
Interested in joining the spring class?
Payment, Cancellation and Refund Policy
If you sign up for the class and later need to cancel we can help. Late cancelation dates will be provided soon.